Monday Jul 26, 2021
ADULT SEX ED: WHAT DO YOU WISH YOU HAD LEARNED ABOUT SEX + YOUR BODY? S4:E25
Monday Jul 26, 2021
Monday Jul 26, 2021
Get ready for THE TRUE NORTH COLLECTIVE℠ PODCAST: SEASON 4! With co-hosts Rachel Bellotti (she/her) and Jenell Riesner (she/her), this is a gathering of un-sugar-coated conversations celebrating the untold stories of everyday people fearlessly finding and living their true north.
In our own search to discover and live from our TRUE NORTH, we continue to meet many interesting, courageous people from all walks of life, doing all sorts of amazing things to live life in their own unique way. Stories from all over the world. Stories with heart. Stories with grit. Stories with plot twists. Stories going untold - until now. This season, we continue to celebrate these untold stories of everyday people who are fearlessly living their true north and inspiring each of us to do the same.
Today, we are introducing a new series called ADULT SEX ED, where we talk about all the things we never learned in sex ed, now as adults! It’s awkward, playful, real, honest, + informative because we ALL deserve to get our sex questions answered in a way that feels empowering + pleasurable. In today’s conversations, we are honored to speak with Joy Davis, creator of Full Moon Fertility, Anishinaabe (Ojibwe) FAM Educator, trained in the Justiisse Method, + Dr. Emily Kirkwold owner of NFP Pharmacist, NFP + cycle charting in the Marquette Method, to chat about all things sex ed. This will be an ongoing conversation to normalize sex, pleasure, sexuality, bodies + their fluids, + so much more. DM us if there is a topic you want us to talk about in a future episode! In this episode, we wrestle with:
- Lack of information + conversations
- Normalizing sexual development + body exploration
- Doing your own work
- Starting conversations about sex + bodies young
- Sex in the media + inaccurate information
- Consent + open communication
- Introducing new types of sexual acts
- Understanding yourself + your partner’s body + fertility cycles
- Birth control
Thank you, Joy + Emily, for being so open + giving in your perspectives + truths. We appreciate you both so much. <3
*note: this episode includes explicit language appropriate for those ages 16+
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @evyan.whitney
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @dr_cuterus
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @gynaegossip
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @fertilityfriday
- The Art of Giving + Receiving: The Wheel of Consent by Betty Martin
- In the Flow by Alisa Vitti (audio version is really good!)
- Lisa Hendrickson-Jack + Fertility Friday Podcast
- Mark Groves Podcast: Holly Grigg-Spall Sweetening the Pill
- Connect with Joy via IG @fullmoon.fertility + Dr. Emily via IG @nfppharmacist
- Music from: https://www.jukedeck.com/
3 KEY TAKEAWAYS:
- Where are you avoiding conversations that are important because they aren’t “appropriate” or they’re uncomfortable? It’s most likely that if you have the question or thought that it exists outside of you, too. If it’s a safe space, then this is your permission slip to go for it + start the conversation. If it isn’t a safe space, then the invitation is to see if you can find spaces where you can have the conversation + then play with expanding the circle of influence as you get more comfortable owning your own truth about the topic. We all deserve to be heard + to hear real humxn experiences about life, sex, all of it.
- Understanding consent is more than just a yes or a no. It includes nuances around giving + receiving. It includes open communication + respect of both parties in understanding what roles each is playing + if both are ready + willing to play the roles of giver +/or receiver. This is a very important part of physical intimacy, but truly for all types of intimacy + connections.
- Do everything you can to understand your body. Period. Your body has SO much wisdom + can help you understand your overall health + vitality if you know your own baseline + what’s healthy + “normal” for you. Then when you understand your own body, you can better communicate with partners or doctors in order to advocate for yourself + explain why you might need certain things sometimes + other things other times. There is so much to explore, so start where you are drawn + then keep adding to your understanding over time. It is actually such a beautiful, inspiring, loving process.
To leave or reply to comments, please download free Podbean or
To leave or reply to comments,
please download free Podbean App.