#2: THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS WITHIN THE COMPETITIVE WORLD OF FILM-MAKING
Welcome to the TRUE NORTH COLLECTIVE PODCAST: SEASON 2! With co-hosts Rachel Bellotti and Jenell Riesner, this is a gathering of un-sugar-coated conversations celebrating the untold stories of everyday people fearlessly finding and living their true north.
In our own search to discover and live from our TRUE NORTH, we have met so many interesting, courageous people from all walks of life, doing all sorts of amazing things to live life in their own unique way. Stories from all over the world. Stories with heart. Stories with grit. Stories with plot twists. Stories going untold - until now. This season, we continue to connect with and celebrate these untold stories of everyday people who are fearlessly living their true north and inspiring each of us to do the same.
Today, we talk with Christie Conochalla, award-winning Director, writer, producer, aspiring country singer, on a mission to live a happy life, tell relatable stories through magical realism in film. We chat overcoming competition, living your passion NOW, supporting each other as a way of life, and eventually have a beautifully awkward sing-along that cannot be missed.
*note: this episode includes explicit language appropriate for those ages 16+
*Correction: Mandahla Rose's 1st featured film was "All About E", not "Forever Not Maybe".
- Marco Polo app
- Once Upon a Zipper
- August in the City
- The female filmmakers fuse film festival in Pasadena, CA
- Alliance of Women Directors
- The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron
- Mandahla Rose
- Daniela Mastropietro
- How women can succeed in the workplace - Valerie Alexander
- Buddhist Brain
- Heal documentary
- Jane the Virgin
3 KEY TAKEAWAYS:
- There’s always enough cake for everyone. When we can operate from a place of abundance versus battling each other unlocks more meaningful collaborations and a happy life.
- Start now. Go for it. Do it. Have the audacity. Have the grit. Commit to it. Don’t waste time playing it safe. Don’t hide in a harbor of perceived safety. Go be who you want to be. Take the steps you need to take. Define what you want and start!
- Importance of self-awareness in the pursuit of happiness is about noticing where you are living life in your way versus living by the rules that were handed to you so that you can break through the idea of what other people thought you should be - so you can be YOU. And finding gratitude when I notice that I am doing it!
TIME STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [1:00] Welcome to Episode 2
- [7:50] Introducing Christie Conochalla!
- [11:05] Once Upon A Zipper - Christie’s first short lesbian genre film that started it all
- [11:40] Supporting women Directors coming together to make the world a better place
- [13:45] There’s enough cake - walking away from the competitive bad habits
- [14:15] Fear of rejection, fear of being left behind
- [14:30] Manifesting real-life fairy Godmothers
- [19:05] What does success mean without support? Rewiring your brain in a competitive industry to cheer for those around you even when they do “better” than you
- [21:02] Modeling new ways of being
- [21:55] The illusive pursuit of happiness
- [35:30] Christie’s work + her passion for the history of lesbian cinema
- [43:10] Having the support + space to do truly do things my way
- [45:40] Going to the movies as a Director
- [48:00] Power of the legacy of film
- [48:45] The gift of having people in the world living their passion
- [49:30] How winning big awards does + doesn’t change you
- [53:08] Creating content that you want consume - the secret sauce
- [56:00] Slowing down to rewire your default perceptions of the world around you
- [1:03:30] Gratitude
- [1:06:00] Get in touch with Christie - IG @cconochalla + via website christieconochalla.com